24 July 2006

Wedding in Bishkek

Well I've jumped back into life here in Bishkek after my quick trip home! I had a wonderful and very full time at home, but I won't post pictures cause you can see them at my mom's site...www.lynnlayton.blogspot.com. But I've already been busy since being back with seeing friends here, playing with my trio, going to the bazaar with my cousin and going to my friend Alena's wedding. Her wedding was soo much fun! They are very different and very similar at the same time to wedding's in America. But here they play lot's of games, like hide and go seek with the bride, and stealing the bride's shoe, and every wedding guest must make a toast, so that meant that about 70 people stood up and told the bride and groom, that they wished them happiness, and love, and joy...it was a lot of toasting! But I don't think I've ever seen my friend look more happy and in general it was a good night spent with friends from the conservatory! Now I'm settling into the nice quiet Bishkek summer, and taking my time to recover from traveling and start to organize and prepare for the fall, and work on Kyrgyz, and I'm very thankful that my apartment is nice and cool and I'm not too hot to get things done! I guess that's all for now!

1 comment:

Heather said...

hey they do the shoe stealing thing here as well, and yes every single guest must talk to the bride and groom and take a picture...by the fourth day of the last wedding i went to I had to force myself to go because they consist mostly of sitting around and watching the bride and groom take a million posed photographs. The shoe thing added a bit of excitement!