31 August 2006

Karakol and the pretty Orthodox Church

So the next place I saw was Karakol, which is a sleepy little city on the east end of Lake Issykul. It looks like it hasn’t changed in the last 50 years, and it probably hasn’t. But there is a very pretty little orthodox church there that we found. It’s all made of carved wood and is quite amazing. Other than that there was just a very slow internet cafe, and no good water without fizz in it. My interesting discovery is that no matter where in the world, water bottled by Coca-cola tastes the same and I don’t like the taste:-)!!! But when you are in the village and there is no water to drink, you drink what you can find!!! I didn’t mention that Kyzyl Syy in English means red water, and the water is so murky there is was scary. I saw my friends washing my clothes in this water that looked to me so dirty I couldn’t imagine that they were going to be cleaner than they were before, and she must have seen my face, because she said, “Oh don’t worry the water always looks like that. Its clean and it won’t turn your clothes brown!” My clothes were clean although I don’t know how such brown water doesn’t make your clothes brown!! I guess after it rains it turns really red, ie.. Kyzyl Syy (Red Water)

No comments: