16 March 2007

All is well in Bishkek

Yesterday was a happy day. Shoro is back on the streets of Bishkek!! That means spring is here, it means there will be flowers soon, it means that the lovely days of summer are coming, and it means there is always a wonderful drink available to one on any corner of any street in the city for all of 4 com! I love shoro, much to the amazment of other Americans and my family back home who have tried it. It is sort of an acquired taste, but once acquired very addicting, maybe even more so than coffee; and in the summer, even better than ice coffee. (for those of you who don't know, shoro is a national drink of Kyrgyzstan, and it is a mix of wheat and barely and other grains, that are roasted and ground into a fizzy drink. In the mountains it is fermented, thus fizzy, in the city a company called shoro has mastered the art of mass producing it and rather than fermented it is just carbonated.) Unfortunately it is not sold in America:-( So not many of you will have the opportunity to acquire the taste!!

P.S. I just finished reading Lord of the Rings today, and much to my surprise I loved it! So to those of you whom I always said it wasn't to my taste and I'd never be able to get through all three books, it took me less than a month!

No comments: