09 December 2005

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

...and everything is skulsko, skulsko, skulsko (slippery in Russian!)


we had our first real snow here, and it has made the city look quite pretty. It has stayed on the trees for two days now, and so the whole city is nice and white, as well as very slippery...they don't shovel the sidewalks here, so there is a nice layer of ice to walk on.
My observation today is that boys, guys, and men like to slide on ice....I saw more guys running and sliding today, from young to old. I guess there is some sort of rush in it that girls here don't need. Actually there is no way girls could slide with the stilleto heals they wear:-)
Other observations...snow helps a country like this feel more Christmasy...since they don't really celebrate Christmas here, its hard to get into the spirit.

And language observation...the last several months I've only played my flute with people who speak Russian so today I had a scary experience when I played with other English speakers...and I had to remind myself not to speak in Russian, and I had to remember how to say stuff in English...I'm going to be in real trouble after 3 years! But then on the other hand one of my friends said to me today, "I'm so glad that you speak Russian and we can talk and get to know you, because its to bad when other foreigners don't know Russian and we can't get to know them." That's all I need to hear to keep be going a little longer on my language learning!

No comments: