11 February 2006

being sick in a post-soviet country...

I've discovered that there are some good things about being sick in a post-soviet country. First people here believe that the weather truly does affect your health. So if you are feeling a little weird one day...its just the weather, and people will tell you that and believe it if you tell them that. I love that 'cause I truly believe a lot of times it is just the weather...Second if you are sick here, you shouldn't do anything, and if you say you are sick people are immediately understanding and tell you to go home and rest and drink lots of water with lemon. Yesterday my Russian teacher told me to lie down for three days and do nothing, just because I told her I wasn't feeling great. Now all the understanding comes with downsides, like listening to people tell you all the things that you need to do to get better, or telling you its just cause I don't know how to dress for the weather, but it is really nice to not feel guilty about not wanting to do anything when I don't feel well, and having people tell me not to do anything!

P.S. I'm not really all that sick (at least by American standards) but according local advice I'm lying low today so that I can shake whatever has been bothering me the last couple of weeks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to come make you chicken noodle soup and tea...And I'd bring my hot pack so I could use it while we caught up!
I'm praying you'll get better fast.
Love you lots,
Mom